Monday, June 1, 2009

All Aboard

My computer technology background consists more of hands-on experience rather than classroom-based instruction. In the Navy, I learned to use "afloat" intelligence systems for tracking both friendly and hostile ships, planes and other platforms or units of interest. This included learning to use computers to help correlate disparate bits of information and create the most realistic "picture" of the existing battlefield environment. As a Congressional Aide, I learned more traditional computer programs, including office-based software. While assisting constituents, I gained extensive experience using case management programs.
I have not been accepted into the Single Subject Program for Social Science, but I intend to reapply at the next opportunity. I spent three years teaching courses in the Navy. These courses typically ran from one to two weeks and were geared toward junior personnel who tended to be in their twenties. I have volunteered in my son's grade school classes, which has definitely given me a healthy respect for what teachers accomplishing in the younger grade levels.
I have a Master of Arts in U.S History from Claremont Graduate University. My goal in this class is to develop skills for technologically-based social science lessons that go beyond Power Point presentations. I want to share with kids in a way that really captures their attention.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the world of education. In many cases, school and military can be similar. Both involve learning knowledge and skills. You can definitely apply your prior experience in the Navy to teaching in K-12 settings

    R-J

    ReplyDelete